Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Trying To Get back Into my Groove!

PLEASE SCROLL DOWN IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR THE SEPTEMBER PUMPKIN SPICE BLOG HOP!
Hi there! How is everyone doing? I am finally getting settled back in from being away from the home front for so long. Who would think it takes so much work to go on vacation?
I missed my little Kalani girl! She was so excited to see us when we got home she hasn't left our side once since being back!
Today I want to share a little card I made the other night with my new Sister Stamps! Have you heard of them?  If you haven't heard of them let me tell you! I follow a few blogs from Hawaii because I am hoping to meet some new crafters from there to get together with some day! It's so hard meeting other crafters sometimes especially in a new area. I love my craft girl get togethers when I'm home so why not when I'm away right? And since I plan on moving to Hawaii eventually why not find new friends now! So while I have been searching for fellow crafters I found this site called Sister Stamps out of Hawaii.

Side note*Something you might not know about me is that I am obsessed with Asian cultures and influences. My mom grew up in Japan for many years and half my family is Japanese. Growing up my favorite doll was this gorgeous Japanese doll that sat at the end of my bed. Every night I would day dream about being her when I was a little girl. In fact here is a picture of her. She still sits in my bedroom. I think she is so beautiful.


 When I saw the Sister Stamps I knew I HAD to get some! They are just too adorable! I just love anything with an Asian influence! When I went to Hilo with my mom I found the Island Scrapbooking(AWESOME) store and they had Sister Stamps in stock! SCORE!(If you would like to purchase your own Sister Stamps you can contact Island Scrapbooking at 1-808-933-9390 tell them Lenae at SugarGem sent you)

My poor mom had to wait forever for me in the store because I was in heaven there! We don't have any stores in the Washington area with such a fabulous selection!

Introducing Mei Li!

Isn't she a doll? I just LOVE her!
I used Cosmo Cricket Circa 1934 papers for the background and all the paper piecing on Mei Li!

I've been practicing a lot with my Copics. I have realized that I just need to find "my style" I really don't think there is a right or wrong way to use them. Even though a lot of people will probably tell you otherwise. What do you think about the hair? I think I have finally found "my hair style". Everyone colors differently with their Copics, I have found I like a more bold, less blended look for myself. I see that a lot with the Anime style. I found that is what I was drawn to when admiring others coloring techniques! So if you are just starting out or wanting to start I recommend just finding "your style"!

Hope everyone had a beautiful Labor Day weekend! What is everyone working on now? I have some really cute new SVG's that I am dying to show you and share, but they are so much work and I have such little time right now. Just keep checking back and they should hopefully be up soon!
Thanks for stopping bye today and I always love reading your comments!

If I can inspire just one person today I have done my job!
XOXO SugarGem

3 comments:

  1. So Kawaii! Hope to see more projects from you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This card is so cute. You've certainly inspired me! How did you get the colors on Mei Li's outfit? Did you paper piece onto white cardstock and then cut her out on the white cardstock?
    BTW I found your blog via Sister Stamps. You have some great SVG designing skills! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Allison thank you! I stamped Mei Li onto white paper, colored her face and hair then stamped her onto 3 different patterned papers and cut each piece out individually and glued it down to the white card stock. Then once I was finished I cut the whole image out of the white paper. Hope this helps let me know if you have any questions!

    ReplyDelete