Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Turning Junk Into Treasure!

Lately I have been finding myself stopping at estate and garage sales for the first time in my life. I use to go to garage sales when I was younger with my grandma, but I never found anything. When I was working I would pretty much buy whatever I wanted,  but now I find myself really watching what I spend.   I don't know if it's the economy or if it's just me, but there seems to be a lot better items at garage sales now then there use to be.  Last week I stopped at a huge community sale at the church down the road and found this little wooded shelf.


I paid 4 bucks for it! SCORE!

I definitely did not like it the way it was.
It needed some sugar sprinkled on it! ;)

As soon as I got home I painted my new shelf. I wanted a shabby white finish.

There is a gap in one of the corners, but I usually have a card I've been working on set in the corner so you can't see it. I can live with it.

I had been looking for some kind of shelf/holder for my Copics for a while and they ended up fitting PERFECT!  It is exactly what I need for now! I just love it and for $4 dollars I love it even more!



So far this summer I have re-purposed a table, a stamp holder, a long skinny shelf and now my little shelf for my craft area. My plan is to find 2 more larger kitchen style tables that all match or at least compliment each other and then paint everything white to match in my craft area.

On side note-
 Right now I am blessed to have my own craft room for the first time in my life. I wanted my own craft room for years and when I finally got one I realized I didn't have any inspiration being in there all by myself. Who would of thought? Things changed when my fiancee had surgery. I brought a couple tables into our bedroom (luckily it's large enough not to look cluttered) and set up a "traveling craft area" for the time he was layed up in bed.  Well it has been over 6 months and my "traveling craft area" is still in my bedroom with a FEW more things then I started with of course! haha

Why am I telling you this you ask? I'm telling you this because I think we all need to find our creative zone. I thought for sure my own craft room would be very inspirational to me and it turned out not to be at all! My inspiration just happens to be in my bedroom (which I do think is weird) but it is what it is. I still have a lot of my crafts in my craft room, but I only get my inspiration to create in my bedroom. Plus it is usually late at night. So where is your creative zone? Where do get your inspiration?
I would love to hear your story!

If I can inspire just one person today I have done my job!
XOXO SugarGem

6 comments:

  1. That is a fabulous holder for your pens! Like you I had wanted a craft room for quite some time but had no room due to having three kids at home. Well, the oldest moved out and his room became my craft room! Unlike you, though, I LOVE my craft room! Not having the distractions of the t.v., people talking or the phone ringing have really helped me out. There are definitely nights I wish I was in the living room with my family again but instead of wishing that I take that as a sign to go out and be with my family...my crafting can wait until another time.

    Thanks for sharing your story! I have photos of my room on my blog if you are interested in seeing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally Awesome! I love to do this. I just picked up a shelf at the goodwill last week and am going to do some thing with it to hold my stickles I think.

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  3. You Scored! What a great idea....have you looked at Pinterest. They had some amazing craftroom pictures there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OHHH! I just love that shelf and pen holder!!! What a fabulous little decoration! I enjoy my studio--and I love where others craft! I find it interesting that you craft in your bedroom--I might have to take my notebook in there for inspiration:) I guess it doesn't matter where you craft as long as you craft and find inspiration:)

    THANKS for sharing!! And thanks for stopping by my blog!! Blessings:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are some great pieces to add to your craft room! I love what you did to the newest piece to make it personalized; the white color and the little drawer on the right are perfect modifications :)
    Awesome food for thought on creative zones. I don't at all think that creating in a bedroom is weird; many people do that and I have been known to do it myself! There was a time when I dreamed of having a crafting room and probably could have turned our spare bedroom/office into one, but I found myself taking my projects into the rooms where my family members were. I guess it's because I grew up in a large family and there was always constant activity that I find I need to be where there is commotion and noise - I work best when my house is buzzing with activity :) As a matter of fact, I LOVE having my crafty friends over to collaborate and create! For me, my creative zone is where there is food, family & friends.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW, what a copic collection!!! :-)
    It's funny that you don't like crafting in your craft room. I would love to have one and be able to close the door and keep everyone out... ;-)LOL My craft corner also is in my bedroom, in front of a window looking out at the pool and the little lake, it's nice but way too hot in the afternoon... And no crafting at night for me because my hubby wants to sleep, so the bedroom location isn't that cool... LOL And I am too tired to craft at night but if I was I would want to be in the same room as my hubby! :-)

    ReplyDelete