Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Special Announcement and Fun Tutorial.

I have been keeping a little secret! You may have noticed me posting a few things about A-Muse Studio? I have decided to become an A-Muse Studio consultant. Have you heard of them before? They are based out of my area in Washington State. Their stamps are the rubber cling style. Have you used this style yet? If not you are going to LOVE them! They stamp so clean and crisp! I absolutely love the quality of their products and I know you will too. Their style is Clean and Simple (CAS). This is one of my favorite styles ever. You can shop in my store here!

To kick off my announcement I designed a fun shaker card using almost ALL A-Muse products! No digital cutter needed so anyone can make this card! :)  


Close up of the butterflies. They still have all of their detail!
What do you think? I just love these little shaker cards they are so fun to make. I have the free SVG shell shaker card for SVG SCAL users, but I know a lot of you don't have cutters so I took the time to make a this tutorial for all of you! :) I hope you enjoy this! As always I love getting comments!

As of right now I am gifting this tutorial to you! I put A LOT of time and work very hard on my designs and tutorials I would appreciate that if you use this design to remember and link to my blog. Make sure to give credit where credit is due.  Please remember this is not to be sold. This is for personal use ONLY. If you have any questions please contact me.

Lets start with what you will need:
I used all a-muse studio products where I could.
-a-muse studio Sampler set one or Make a Scene and Snail & Co
-Stamp pads- Bubblegum, Grass, Sky, Orange and Versamark.
     Sage paper 10.75"x5"
     White paper 3.25"x3"
-Acetate 3.25"x3"
-Shrinky Dinks paper
-Strip pop up foam- not the dots
-Nestabilities classic scalloped squares lg- You will use the 2nd to the smallest die in the set.
-Copics BG10

How to make my shaker card:

1. Start with the large Sage 10.75"x5" paper. Score along the long side- .25", .50", 3.75", 4", 7.25",7.5"
2.. Score along short side- .25", .50", 4.5" and 4.75".
3. Using scissors remove extra pieces. See picture below for example what it will look like once pieces are removed.
Add caption

Look closely at the photo above. When everything is complete it will be much easier to close if you have those corners cut at an angle.


This is what your finished piece should look like.

4. Fold all your score lines with bone folder to make them crisp and clean

5. Stamp 3 butterflies from Snail & Co onto rough side of Shrinky Dink paper using Bubblegum ink. (This is a FAVE)

6. Cut butterflies out by hand.

7.This step is up to you! I am impatient so I shrink my Shrinky Dinks with my heat gun and hold it down gently with a stylus. Make sure to use a heat resistant mat under the Shrinky Dinks. If you want you can follow the directions and use your oven.

The trick with Shrinky Dinks is to let them curl up like crazy (Don't stop heating), keep heating while it is curling, it's not done and then it will eventually flatten out nice! Once it flattens out while heating it is finished.


8. Using the 2nd to the smallest scalloped square from the large set of Nestabilities, line it up in the center of the center panel of your card and put it through your die cutting machine.


9. Next you want to prepare your stamping area. Gently swipe your anti static pillow across the front of  the card where you want the sentiment to be.

10. Stamp your sentiment (I used Snail & Co just wanted to say Hi!) with Versamark ink, sprinkle white embossing powder over sentiment and heat with heat tool.


11. Stamp your background onto your 3.25"x3"paper. This will be what you see through your window. You will only see a portion of this paper through the window. I put most of my stamping towards the middle.  I used the grass and flower from Snail and Co collection and the clouds from Sampler Set One. If you don't have a sampler set you could also use Make a Scene collection.  I also outlined the clouds with Copics BG10.


12. Adhere acetate to the back of the window.

13. Add your foam strips around the window placing them on top of your acetate. Make sure that the foam is all touching. This is what will keep your Diamond glitter and Shrinky Dinks inside the shaker. You want to push them tightly together so that they will be air tight. Be very precise here. I used 3 layers of the foam because it wasn't thick enough for the Shrinky Dinks to shake with just 1 layer. It will all depend on how thick your foam strips are. You will have to decide if one. two or three layers are needed.

14. Clean your acetate with glass cleaner to remove any finger prints or dust.




15. Place your Shrinky Dinks and glitter in your shaker (inside the foam area.)

16. Remove backing on foam and adhere your  stamped 3"x3.25" paper to the foam strips. This will now enclose your shaker! Make sure to rub briskly around the paper on top of foam making sure that all the glitter and Shrinky Dinks are contained inside your shaker.

I think this is probably obvious, but you want to make sure when you adhere the stamped paper to the foam that the stamped image is facing down and will be showing through the window.

17. Adhere Papaya grosgrain ribbon now.

18. You can now enclose the back of the card. Depending on how thick and/or wide your foam is you might have to cut the end strip off.  Most likely you will not have to do this it will all depend on your foam.

That's it! Isn't it cute?

Let me know if you have any questions!

If I can inspire just one person today I have done my job!
XOXO SugarGem
Don't forget to LIKE SugarGem on Facebook for up to date posts! ---------->>>>>>

8 comments:

  1. VERY CUTE!!!! I did a shrinky dink project too! I haven't posted it yet..but will this week. I love the shaker card. Can you believe I have NEVER made one!!! GASP! I better give it a try. Thanks for all the work and sharing the tutorial. Really helps a lot :) And welcome to the A Muse Studio team!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an awesome project! TFS and welcome to a|s!

    ReplyDelete
  3. TFS, Lori I have never made on either, guess that is the next thing on my list to try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just Darling! Congrats on your new endeavor

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful card and great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is lovely. Thanks so much for sharing it with us!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A-Muse products are the best; Shrinky Dinks are the awesome-est! I never thought to use them in a shaker card - that is really a GREAT idea... Thanks for giving me another reason to use my stash! :)

    ReplyDelete